A Level Computer Science
If you are interested in the technologies that shape the modern world and drive the pace of change, then Computer Science is the subject for you. Computer Science is a practical subject where students can apply the academic principles learned in the classroom to real-world systems. It’s also an intensely creative subject that combines invention and excitement and is a gateway to the industries of the future.
The aims of this A Level Computer Science qualification are to enable learners to develop:
- An understanding and ability to apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms and data representation
- The ability to analyse problems in computational terms through practical experience of solving such problems, including writing programs to do so
- The capacity to think creatively, innovatively, analytically, logically and critically
- The capacity to see relationships between different aspects of computer science
- Mathematical skills
All students studying A Levels should have at least five GCSEs at grade 9 – 5 in academic subjects, including English Language at grade 5. Two of these should be grade 6.
Specifically for Computer Science, you will need GCSE Computer Science at grade 6 or above, and GCSE Maths at grade 6 or above.
AS Computer Science consists of two examined units; both examinations are of one hour and 15 minutes’ duration. The A Level in Computer Science also consists of two examined units externally assessed by OCR, and one internally assessed unit. Both examinations are of two hours and 30 minutes’ duration.
Students taking A Level Computer Science often go on to study Computer Science at university, or they take another science or mathematical subject and use their knowledge of computing to enhance and develop their studies. Computer Science is also essential to a wide variety of careers, from app developer to algorithm programmer.
- Masters in ICT and Education Studies
- Over 14 years’ experience in FE and secondary sectors
- Over 20 years’ experience in music education